FSA Logo

Federal Application

Students who wish to apply for financial aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and are encouraged to complete the FAFSA on-line at FAFSA Online. Though a paper application is available, applying online is faster. Should you choose to file on-line, you need to print the signature page and send it to the address listed to complete your application process with the Federal processor. Remember, do not send the signature page to the school, but do send it to the Federal processor.

Admission Requirements

In addition to completing the FAFSA, new students to NFC must also be fully admitted to a degree seeking or certificate program as a regular student. Students are encouraged to complete this process early as it will speed up the delivery of their financial aid. Transfer students should see the special section on this site for requirements you must meet. New first time freshmen should make sure NFC receives proof of your graduation as soon as possible upon your completion of your senior year. Students who take the General High School Equivalency Diploma (GED), should submit their scores to NFC for posting to your file.


Students selected for verification must submit all documents requested by the Financial Aid Office before an award can be issued. Please send all documents as quickly as possible as failure will result in delays. In most cases, it is the Federal Government who selects the students for verification. There are, however, instances when information seems inconsistent that the Financial Aid Office will select students for verification.

Other Documents

Some students who fail to meet the matches with other Federal agencies may be required to submit documentation to verify the information they have put on their FAFSA. Some agencies that might return a match are the Social Security Administration, Immigration and Naturalization and Selective Service. The Financial Aid Office will notify you if any problems are identified in these areas and inform you of the action you need to take.

Transfer Students

Transfer students must ensure their enrollment services file is complete and all transcripts are posted to their academic history at NFC. In addition, transfer students must meet NFC’s Standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid to receive financial aid. Transfer students should pay close attention to the Request for Documents form sent to them by the Financial Aid Office.

Summer Financial Aid

Summer Pell

Federal Pell Grants are available for summer, even if you have previously used the initial amount for which you were eligible. The US Department of Education has authorized institutions to award up to 150% of the Federal Pell Grant for which a student qualifies in an award year. Most students will need to enroll in at least six eligible hours to qualify for the additional funds. A limited number of students, who did not fully utilize their Federal Pell Grant in the Fall and/or Spring Semesters, may qualify for a less than half-time Federal Pell Grant. Students who have reached their Federal Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Usage cannot receive further Federal Pell Grant Funds.

Outside Scholarships

Students are required to report all scholarships received from sources other than NFC to the Financial Aid Office. This is required by the Federal Government, and the funds received will be included toward the student’s need for financial aid.


Students applying for, and receiving financial aid are required to keep their current address in the College computer data base. Corrections to your address can be made in Enrollment Services.